Saturday, May 2, 2009

Carnegie Delicatessen - NYC


I know this is supposed to be a blog about fish frys and food in Northern WI, but I happened to be in Manhattan today and stopped into the Carnegie Delicatessen to binge on hot pastrami and corned beef.  Marilyn and I were visiting some old friends Lynn Goodman and Bill Finegold and felt the urge for hot pastrami and a good knish.

So here is how it goes.  I'll have a corned beef and you have a pastrami then we will share, oh, lets get some onion rings and while we are at it how about a potato knish and a Heineken to wash it down.  Past experience has taught me to pass on the beer and get a pelligrino that way I can pack more away.  Bill and Lynn also order the same minus the onion rings.  Half an hour later we decide to take half the food back to the hotel, but then our waitress returns with the famous last words - how about cheesecake!  Since we are full we decide to just get a hot apple strudel and chocolate cheesecake; in most countries this slice could feed a village for a week - we bagged the balance for later in the evening.  With tip the total for lunch was $132, pricy yes - but it is NYC and it was good.  On the Big Ragu scale I give this a 4 outa 5.  Now it's time for a nap.

Carnegie Deli on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I love the Carnegie but you should also try Katz's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a toss up this time as to which one to go to, I am only good for one deli binge a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CARNEGIE WAS GROSSLY EXPENSIVE FOR THE FOOD RECEIVED

    ReplyDelete